Help us choose the most memorable fiction of the last 50 years!
In September 2013, Munro's Books will be 50 years old.
As we enter our 50th year in business, we want to celebrate
this milestone with a year-long contest for our customers.
Every month we'll feature a shortlist* of novels and their years of publication. Simply vote for
the book you feel is the best, or most memorable, for each year. We'll draw from
each month's entries for a gift certificate worth $25.00.
All ballots will also be entered into our Grand Prize draw in September 2013.
The prize? A collection of the 50 winning titles chosen by Munro's customers!
to enter our May contest.
April winners will be announced soon.
The winners so far:
- 1963 - The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John Le Carré
- 1964 - The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence
- 1965 - Dune by Frank Herbert
- 1966 - A Jest Of God by Margaret Laurence
- 1967 - I Heard The Owl Call My Name by Margaret Craven
- 1968 - The Dance Of The Happy Shades by Alice Munro
- 1969 - The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood
- 1970 - Fifth Business by Robertson Davies
- 1971 - Lives of Girls and Women by Alice Munro
- 1972 - Watership Down by Richard Adams
- 1973 - The Princess Bride by William Goldman
- 1974 - The Diviners by Margaret Laurence
- 1975 - Shogun by James Clavell
- 1976 - Roots by Alex Haley
- 1977 - The Wars by Timothy Findley
- 1978 - Who Do You Think You Are? by Alice Munro
- 1979 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- 1980 - The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
- 1981 - Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
- 1982 - The Color Purple by Alice Walker
- 1983 - Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
- 1984 - Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
- 1985 - The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
- 1986 - Maus 1 by Art Spiegelman
- 1987 - In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje
- 1988 - Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- 1989 - The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
- 1990 - Possession by A. S. Byatt
- 1991 - Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry
- 1992 - The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
- 1993 - The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields
- 1994 - Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
for our email newsletter to learn about future events.
Full contest details: Each month choose your favourite books from our lists of the top titles for a chance to win a $25 gift certificate. The deadline for entries is last day of the month. One entry per person per month. In September 2013, we will hold Grand Prize draw for a chance to win all 50 of the top titles chosen by our customers. (note: If you vote every month you will have 12 ballots entered in the Grand Prize Draw!) Monthly winners will be notified by phone or email and will be announced in our newsletter.
*Please note, we've chosen books that are still in print, and our list is, of course, subjective! Each monthly
ballot will cover roughly four years of bookselling history, beginning with 1963-1966 in September 2012.